[ale] open source solutions for Win 98 on an old laptop

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Jul 17 02:37:44 EDT 2008

> With 80 MB RAM and only 1 GB HDD, any other suggestions of Linux
> versions to try on it?

If DSL ran slowly, I imagine the problem is the CPU even more than the
RAM. I doubt linux is an option though; does the adware associated with
any free dial-up internet service will work with it?

If I do leave it Win98, any other other open
> source or other recommendations to protect it (e.g., shutting down any
> specific TCP/IP ports, etc.)  I think if she could go to Google for
> gmail and eBay to sell stuff, as well as write letters for job
> interviews, and do spreadsheets for budget minding, it'd be very useful.

If she can get a license, Windows 2000 may be slightly more pleasant.
You can use n-lite [0] to remove unneeded and dangerous components like
internet explorer.

[0] http://www.nliteos.com/

-Brian