[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Jul 16 12:09:07 EDT 2008

Jeff Lightner wrote:

> how often we'd pass on them.   The "I wouldn't have wanted to work there
> anyway" comment I've seen here a couple of times sounds a lot like "I
> didn't want the grapes anyway, they were sour" to me.

I truly only meant that if the people who make hiring decisions for
development work are not making those decisions primarily on technical
merit, then it probably isn't going to be a very nice place to work.

Of course, it's a good idea to make a good impression, but I don't think
it's necessary to "dress to impress".  "Dress to blend in" is IMO a
better strategy, more comfortable for everyone involved.  Personally,
I'm a little put off by people who dress ostentatiously, but OTOH I'm
not making any hiring decisions.

-- JK

(Trimming quotes for your convenience since 1989.)

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov