[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Jul 16 11:00:38 EDT 2008

JK wrote:
> Pete Hardie wrote:
>
>> 2008/7/16 Warren Myers <volcimaster at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> I'd argue that the company is trying to sell itself to you - and that if you
>>>

>> I'd consider that there are a great many people involved in the hiring
>> process that are not
>> judging your competence by how you answer questions - the HR people,
>> the managers,
>> the directors, etc.  They are not going to ask you to solve a problem,
>> they are going to
>> look at your appearance, manners, and such.  And many of *those*
>> people are not the
>> "best and brightest" so they *do* consider attire in the equation.
>>

> And if those are the people making the hiring decisions, you
> probably don't want to work there.

I have to agree with that last statement, but I've been on both sides of
the fence and I've yet to find a HR puke that had any input into the
decision whatsoever.   I hope I don't offend anyone but HR folks like to
say they are there to help people, but they are really a tool of
management and they will most likely only help you out the door.

Jim.