[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jul 16 09:22:49 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 08:24 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> I disagree with the tie comments.
>
> There's an old saying:
> You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

True.  Of course, you could also make the impression that you're an
in-the-box thinker, square, and whatever... :-)

The best advice is to know what they want.  Ask.  You don't want to
either underdress or overdress, unless you _truly_ know they don't care
what you come in wearing.

> You're there trying to sell yourself to the potential employer.   Often
> you're interviewing with a recruiter or HR person who knows little to
> nothing of the technical end of the business and may not pass you on to
> hiring manager based on perceptions.  You then often are interviewing
> with management types who might well interpret casual dress (especially
> if it isn't "neat") as a sign that you're not "serious" about the job.
> While you will also interview with technical people usually this comes
> AFTER the first two things.  The technical people are going to judge you
> on what you say about technical questions and aren't going to hold a tie
> against you the way some on this list have implied if your answers are
> correct.

Good technical people will, sure.  As well good non-technical people.
Good people in general should be above _what_ someone is wearing, or
what their hair looks like, or how much (or little!) hair they have.
They should look at a person for the person, for their knowledge.

The more I think about it, though, the more I come to the conclusion
that I can't fathom the thought of working for someone who believes in
some antiquated protocol of clothes-wearing.  I'll show up, impart what
I know, and if that isn't good enough, well, that's fine---I don't think
I'd want to work there anyway.  I am of course not saying that I'd show
up with flip flops, no socks, and a matching Hawaiian shirt and
shorts... but I am saying that apparel that is clean and intact is
really all that would matter to me (on either side of the hiring
process).  I'd probably poke a little fun at the person that showed up
to an interview that I was giving with a tie on, too, and ask them if
they were really comfortable with the thing on.  I know me:  I loathe
ties.  Especially "real" ones.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.