[ale] Since we're on the subject of jobs lately

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Jul 15 23:34:48 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 17:41 -0400, Sean McNealy wrote:
> When interviewing for anything technology oriented:
>
> DO NOT wear a tie.  Nobody will believe you know what you're doing.

You know, I really do wish that someone would have told me that when I
was hunting for W-2 employment.  The entire time I was in school, it was
always, "Dress as best as you can, wear a suit and tie, etc., etc."

I was reading somewhere, deep in comments on /., and was rather
surprised to see a lot of people's thoughts and experiences on what sort
of attire to wear to a technical interview.  And it made sense, in
retrospect, thinking about it.  It hadn't occurred to me that simply
showing up in normal every-day attire and focusing on the damned
technical parts of the interview would do it.  Of course, I know that I
wouldn't really give a rats rear about what someone showed up to an
interview in, if I were giving the interview (within reason, of course).
I would interview someone in a T-shirt and jeans, for example, and I'd
think nothing of the clothing.  They're wearing clothing, that's good
enough for me.

Doesn't much matter at the moment, since I am not looking for anything
W-2.  But I think I know what the last people now meant when they called
me back to say that I wasn't hired...

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.