[ale] Seeking quality embedded SOHO firewall/wireless/vpn device that supports Linux

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Jul 15 18:47:46 EDT 2008

Brian W. Neu wrote:
> I've been working a lot with the dd-wrt and openwrt on my Linksys WRT54GL.
>
> I tried the 2.6 kernel version of OpenWRT, because I wanted to use Shorewall on
> OpenWRT, and I'm a bleeding edge idiot.  Well, it was difficult and updating
> packages just didn't work right.  The dependencies for the packages I wanted to
> install continually had errors.  It may have been the 2.6 version.  I didn't try
> the 2.4 version, but I'm coming back around to trying it soon.  In OpenWRT, the
> web based GUI is actually a separate package.  It's well conceived, but it just
> didn't work ("It" being the 2.6 kernel version for the WRT54GL/Broadcom).

I've been running the 2.4 version ("White Russian") for over a year now.
I installed a firmware image from x-wrt [0] because I thought I wanted a
nicer web interface, but I've ended up using the shell. I haven't
installed any additional software beyond a few kernel modules, but that
worked fine. I was planning to upgrade to "Kamikaze" when I move in
August, but based on your report I think I'll hold off.

[0] http://x-wrt.org/

-Brian