[ale] question about hiring developers

Paul McKibben pmckibben at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:22:22 EDT 2008

James asked: Any suggestions for a newbie to the job hunt?

James, my advice is the same for job seekers as it is for those who are
hiring: get to know people.
http://asktheheadhunter.com is a great resource for job seekers and
understanding the often broken hiring process.

Also, since you're a student, your school should have a career center that
may be a good resource to find companies who want to hire new grads.

In my last message, I forgot to mention that a *good* recruiter can help
both for job seekers and those who are hiring.  I slammed "body shops" (and
rightfully so), but there are also good recruiters out there who get to know
PEOPLE - hiring managers as well as candidates -- and find good matches, not
just on skill set, but on personality and ability.  I can recommend
somebody, but please e-mail me privately for that.  I don't want to get my
wrist slapped for advertising. :)  By the way, these types of recruiters are
good because they do what YOU should be doing--getting to know the people
who can help you.

-------

Jeff said: I resent the comment about Monster.com.

Jeff, sorry, I don't mean to offend.  You're among the small percentage who
actually succeeded with a job board.  However, there is documented evidence
that both for job seekers and those hiring, the job boards are much less
effective than real, personal relationships (see
http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/newsletter/OE20030617.htm).  My experience
says the same thing.  If you reread my e-mail, I used words like "rarely",
because luck can happen.  But I truly believe you are the exception, not the
rule.  Again, sorry if I offended you or anyone else.

--Paul