[ale] OT:DVD burner recommendations

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jul 11 13:55:07 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 12:23 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> 2008/7/11 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>:
> <snip>
> > They've the technology for a reader, but not a burner yet, so far as
> > have seen [1].  Still, very interesting, though I can't see what 400
> GB
> > on a disc could _possibly_ be used for.
>
> We would use them if they were cost effective.  I routinely get stacks
> of DVDs that make up a single data set.
>
> Yes that would fit on disk, but read-only is important and tape is not
> portable enough to even consider.  (ie. We send these data sets
> between companies.)

Ahh, that makes sense.  I suppose the average size of business databases
is probably larger than I realize.  Though, that having been said, it
seems that every business database that I have ever seen is very large
for no reason at all, with tons of needlessly duplicated information
stored in highly non-normalized layouts.  I suspect that the average
database size would probably be significantly smaller if databases were
normalized.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.