[ale] OT:DVD burner recommendations

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Thu Jul 10 07:37:33 EDT 2008

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 15:21 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
>
>> Slightly off topic, but it is for a Linux box. Anyone have any
>> personal recommendations for a multi-format DVD burner? My double
>> layer Lite-On burned itself to death. I don't think Linux
>> compatibility is so much an issue anymore except for maybe blue-ray,
>> which could be an option as long as it's not too much moolah.
>>

> Just about anything will cut it; the way that CD/DVD drives are all
> handled are through standard drivers these days.  The system even
> supports using drives that do multiple formats; I have a drive that
> reads BluRay and HD-DVD discs, and is read/write for CD-ROM/R/RW and DVD
> +/-ROM/R/RW and DVD-RAM.  (Tangentially, I have found DVD RAM to be
> _very_ convenient to use.)
>
> In any case, as long as you're not looking for something that would hook
> up to a proprietary interface, you're fine.  Any IDE or SATA drive will
> do what you're looking for and will be supported by the Linux kernel and
> userland utilities.  This should go for BluRay, as well, though I don't
> know about HD-DVD (and probably won't ever, since it lost the format
> war).
>
> The drive that I purchased, by the way, which reads CD/DVD/BD/HD-DVD and
> writes CD/DVD, cost just under $150 (on sale) and interfaces with the
> system via an SATA interface.  It is available from NewEgg.com [1],
> though that's not where I originally bought it (because it wasn't there
> yet).  While I cannot burn BluRay discs for that price, it is very nice
> to have.  I probably won't get a burner until they cost what CD/DVD
> drives today cost, or very close to it.
>
> 	--- Mike
>
> [1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136133

I was a little hesitant about LG, but I think I'll take a closer look at
it now. I found it interesting in one of the comments the individual
mentioned that he was able to rip a Blu-Ray DVD using 50GB of HDD space.
Wow, never gave it much though how big the file(s) could be for HD
movies. He also said that he ripped a HD-DVD taking 25GB. What's the
difference as to content? Also I can see the need for multi-TeraByte
HDDs. If one was so inclined to rip all of their Blu-Ray DVDs say 60
movies you would need 4 TB HDDs. Gotta go to get another cup of java.