[ale] Last autoresponse notification for today

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 15:34:24 EDT 2008

Hmmm. The virus checker should happen before the mailman gets the email. So
unless there is a a two layer spoof happening that is quite odd. I'll look
into it. Thanks for the notice and the details.

All messages that go the "moderator" queue get deleted. since they are spam
(and in French ??) and the volume is high (100+ per day) they just get
deleted.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Jim Popovitch <yahoo at jimpop.com> wrote:

> 2008/7/9 Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>:
> > The ale mail server automatically discards virus infected email. It does
> not
> > bounce any email for virus infection or undeliverable or anything.
> > It simply discards the chaff.
>
> No it doesn't.  I have a lot of proof too. :-)  Here are the headers
> from one of many emails where ALE's Mailman is sending a response
> (including the viral content) back to jimpop at yahoo.com:

> >From ale-bounces at ale.org Wed Jul  9 02:49:08 2008
> Subject: The results of your email commands
> From: ale-bounces at ale.org
> To: jimpop at yahoo.com
> Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 05:49:08 -0400
> Sender: ale-bounces at ale.org

> In short, the spoofed email is hitting ale.org, being accepted and
> passed on to Mailman which is responding because jimpop at yahoo.com is
> not subscribed.   I also have a few " Your message to Ale awaits
> moderator approval" emails, containing URLs for the held emails.
> However it looks like someone has deleted those emails from the ALE
> moderator queue.
>
> -Jim P.

James P. Kinney III