[ale] Linspire chairman thinks desktop Linux is futile

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jul 7 15:27:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Preston Boyington wrote:
> At the request of my supervisor, I helped recover files from several
> dying drives using various Linux tools.  I personally recovered about
> 40% of the material that was salvageable and felt that I had done a good
> deed by helping out.

Plugging: Clonezilla from Clonezilla.org

I've has some good luck using this for things ranging from
MS-2003 servers to Ubuntu Server. Boot CD and copy a disk image across the
network..

"Filesystem supported: ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs of GNU/Linux, and
FAT, NTFS of MS Windows. Therefore you can clone GNU/Linux or MS windows.
For these file systems, only used blocks in partition are saved and
restored. For unsupported file system, sector-to-sector copy is done by dd
in Clonezilla."