[ale] portable will boot up on NEW battery alone, i.e. w/o being plugged in, huh ?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 08:46:45 EDT 2008

That sound like a bad battery connection or a failed power control board.
There are multiple contact points on the battery. Some are used to provide
power, others for charging while others (in some formats) for signaling that
the battery is installed. If the system doesn't detect the battery is
present, it won't use it. Try cleaning the contacts with a regular pencil
eraser use a new pencil as the old ones become too hard and brittle for
this). You may need t provide a backing support for the contacts in the
laptop as they tend to be compressible.

It that all fails, the power control portion of the laptop is likely toast.
It is barely possible that the cmos battery has died and could be affecting
the bootup so that's a last ditch effort to replace before more expensive
stuff. The power control board is sometimes a separate circuit board in
older devices but newer ones have it on the mainboard. As can be guessed,
replacing either is not fun and costly. ebay has several Dell Latitude C810
for under $50 and some that are for parts.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Courtney Thomas <
courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I've just replaced the battery in a Dell Latitude C810 and it is fully
> charged but will only run being plugged in and will not boot up on battery
> alone.
>
> What might be wrong and what is recommended to resolve this, please ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Courtney

James P. Kinney III