[ale] New system...

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Jul 4 04:58:29 EDT 2008

Jim Lynch wrote:
> I"m looking to replace my old Dell which has gotten cranky as of late
> and took an interest in this.  My only question is where do you find  a
> motherboard with video these days?  I looked on newegg for AM2 boards
> and none of them mention video, is that because they don't have them or
> they all have them?

The majority of AM2 and AM2+ motherboards do not have onboard video.
Click the "power search" entry in the left sidebar and you can search
based on onboard video chipsets. You can also search for specific
connectors like hdmi. I have onboard GeForce 6100 in my desktop, but the
HD 3200 seems to be the hot thing now [0] and is supported by the
proprietary and free drivers. [1]

[0] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_780g_linux&num=1
[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeonhd_780&num=1

-Brian