[ale] New system...

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Jul 4 04:00:13 EDT 2008

Brian Pitts wrote:
> If you want to build rather than buy used, the AMD Athlon 64 LE-1600
> 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor seems like a
> steal at $35 [0]. You can find plenty of socket AM2 motherboards with
> integrated video for less than $50. A 512mb stick of DDR2 RAM costs less
> than $20. A case and power supply should cost less than $50. If you need
> an optical drive, a DVD-RW is less than $25. The most expensive part of
> building a new system might be the hard drives. Low capacity ones aren't
> much cheaper than larger ones; e.g. a 160GB drive costs around $50 and a
> 500GB drive costs around $90.
>
> So new is doable with two hard drives for around $250.
>
> As others have pointed out, there are plenty of places that will sell
> you older hardware for cheap. For example, Ginstar has Intel P3-1.0GHz
> /256 /20GB for $80 [1].
>
> [0] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103199
> [1] http://www.ginstar.com/productList.aspx?category=40
>
> -Brian

I"m looking to replace my old Dell which has gotten cranky as of late
and took an interest in this.  My only question is where do you find  a
motherboard with video these days?  I looked on newegg for AM2 boards
and none of them mention video, is that because they don't have them or
they all have them?

Thanks,
Jim