[ale] e1000 loses link to switch

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jul 1 21:44:28 EDT 2008

I have an interesting issue with a server.

It is a CentOS 5.1 server running kernel  2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 #1 SMP and every
couple weeks the kernel complains about losing link with a switch switch.

I access it via the serial console and see no ip address and no link.
Dmesg states the kernel is waiting for link to come up.   A reboot does
not seem to solve this problem.  Luckily I use intelligent strips and
remotely power cycle the machine.  It comes back up and is on the network.

As anyone seen this behavior before?

Chris