[ale] Hard Disk model/brand recommendations?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sun Jan 27 10:10:12 EST 2008

Hey Folks--

I'm about to need to get a new set of disks for some folks i support
who use gobs'n'gobs of data (video editing).

I'd like to buy new disks for them that stave off the inevitable
out-of-space crunch for a little while, so i'm thinking 500GB or 750GB
disks.  Because of the hardware configuration, i'll need to buy at
least one PATA disk and one SATA disk.  I'm looking for brand or model
recommendations.  These folks won't mind paying a few extra bucks if
it means they don't have to deal with disk failures as often, but i'd
like to make sure they're getting their money's worth, not just
throwing it away at marketing-based markup.

Anyone have any recommendations that are relatively current?  I always
feel like any prejudices i've acquired are out-of-date within a year
or two in this market (500GB disks didn't even exist 2 years ago,
iirc), so i'm hoping the group at large has some ideas.  And pointers
to modern studies of model-specific failure rates, etc would be
awesome.

Thanks for any tips or advice you might have.

       --dkg