[ale] Cablemodem problems, considering DSL - OT response to OT comments

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jan 22 09:52:25 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 09:36 -0500, Horwitz International, LLC wrote:
> I don't get what the big "conspiracy" theorists among you are on about.

In short: Everyone here knows that email and http is open-air broadcast.
The problem is the rise of the mentality that says everything the
population does is suspicious and must be logged for later use in court.
In this country we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. The
slippery-slope argument that topic foo is clearly unsafe for current
societal needs and therefore it should be monitored and maybe actively
prohibited leads easily to topic bar and then to topic baz. This is a
problem of human nature and it has been observed before. It is also
apparently human nature to continually add further restrictions on
permitted behaviors. The technology we all know and love is a
double-edged sword. It make easy access to information and provides a
breadcrumb trail back to the viewer of that information. If that trail
leads to an anonymous entity by default, that is OK with the freedom
purists. But the current trend is to make the anonymity the exception
and not the rule. That violates the innocent until proven guilty concept
that is the basis of our legal/penal system. If the converse replaces
it, then once under suspicion, the population can longer access the
information that can be used for exoneration.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>