[ale] aria2 download utility

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Jan 21 18:45:45 EST 2008

Does anyone on this list use aria2? I discovered it today and it looks
like an impressive replacement for wget and curl for everyday
downloading. It supports multiple protocols (http, ftp, bittorrent) and
segmented downloading. I particularly like the support for segmented
downloading; when you can't find a fast mirror, aggregating the
bandwidth of several slow mirrors is a nice alternative. It also
supports metalink, an file format that stores download locations and
checksum data, which I hadn't heard of before but seems useful.

I know that the DownThemAll extension can do many of these things, but I
prefer to not have my downloads dependent on Firefox.

http://aria2.sourceforge.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalink

-Brian