[ale] Any FAT recovery tools?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Jan 19 15:09:11 EST 2008

ALErs -

I would like to recover some files deleted in a FAT32 filesystem (SD card,
actually). Nothing was done to the card since about 10 files were
unwisely deleted while the card was installed in a camera, and I'm
carefully avoiding any write activity until this is resolved..

I've used some of the free MsWin recovery tools, but there seem to be
subtleties in Canon's storage or with *.jpg handling - these are image
files and seem to have lost some quality in the process. (I don't really
know how that would happen and still give a readable JPEG, but there are
visible differences when original and recovered images are displayed
side by side.)

I wondered if anyone could suggest a Linux tool for this type 'unerase'? I
was planning to capture the card image with 'dd', loopback-mount the image
file, and work on that. I suppose this could even be scripted somewhere.

TIA.

 - Mills