[ale] gparted can't find drive in Gateway Laptop

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:57:24 EST 2008

it may not be the drive, but the controller.  It could be the driver is
missing in initrd.img or  PCI id table files didn't associate the PCI ID of
the controller with the correct driver if present.

I ran into this not long ago. The distro already has the right driver in the
initrd.img, but it didn't have the entry to associate the driver with the
PCI ID of a relatively new nviDia nForce SATA controller. It all worked,
once I updated the pci id files in the initrd.img and remastered the CD.

I'd run FC7 in rescue mode, then run parted to do the trick manually.