[ale] Slackware help needed

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Jan 18 08:32:41 EST 2008

I'm trying to help a client get an OLD slackware install working.  His
samba/ldap configuration has quit working.  I can't even figure out how
to start services on this system.  So questions:

What's the equivalent command to /dev/init.d/ldap start on slackware?
How do I find out the version of slackware this system is running,
/etc/issue is empty/meaningless.

It looks like the OS was installed in 2002 but the kernel is a 2.4.x
version compiled in 2005, so at least it's been upgraded somewhere along
the line.

Any idea where slackware might put the snmb.log or ldap logs?  Or is
that really dependent on the installer.

The fellow who set this up now works for Nato and is off in Europe
somewhere.

Thanks,
Jim.