[ale] $1B for MySQL !!!

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Fri Jan 18 00:39:05 EST 2008

> I'm hoping in a year or two this means MySQL will be a real
> alternative to Oracle and MS-SQL in a Fortune 500 data center.  (And
> yes I know the Weather Channel already uses it heavily.)

I see MySQL as a companion to a real database system.
Especially for web apps. Not everything NEEDS an Oracle, Sybase, DB2..
even if you have it. In fact, it'll keep your real core db servers cleaner
from smaller rapidly changing less important stuff.

The question I have regards Google, from what I've been reading, they have
put a lot of develepment into MySQL, and only recently gave a lot of it
back to MySQL for inclusion. Hopefully this won't negatively impact such
relationships if Sun ultimately owns MySQL.

And hopefully, I'll be able to continue to use MySQL for my little web
apps and not have to swap to something else. Although I wouldn't mind
paying a little for MySQL for production servers, it's nice to be able to
slap it onto systems for development, testing and non-profitable projects
without worrying about such costs or hassles.