[ale] set time manually on a RHEL 5.1 server

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:29:36 EST 2008

I need to set the time on a RHEL 5.1 server overseas. It has GMT+1.  No NTP
server available. So, I did 'date -u' on another RHEL 5.1 server with EST as
its time zone, then apply the timestamp on the GMT+1 server using 'date -u'.

The time was set. However, the user local to that server reported the time
should be 16:13  instead of 14:13 reported on that server.

Any idea? The only thing I can think of, is that they are not GMT+1.