[ale] Strange Samba directory naming issue

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 16:29:18 EST 2008

All,

I've been running a couple Samba fileservers for years.

One in particular is running SuSE 10.2 with  samba-3.0.23d-19.7 and a
XFS filesystem locally

Today we created a directory on the server via a local program.  (Like
we have done every couple days for the last 2 years.)

This time, the directory looks fine from Linux.  (Both locally, and
from my workstations (a suse 10.3 cifs connected Linux client)).

But from Windows it has a weird 8 character name.