[ale] Must have new KDE application.

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Sat Jan 12 12:24:52 EST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Chris Ness wrote:

> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Prayertimes+Plasmoid?content=73395
>
> No I mean you must have it. Obligatory. You will install it. Or else.
> Also please note the icon of his commenter. What's that in his hand? Un-huh.

I "blew up" the image of the commenter, it -could- be something bad, it
could be something good, no telling for real. alsheeba aka elstranger aka
kgb_plague at hotmail.com could be a 12 year old in Atlanta, or a CIA troll,
a baptist preacher in Oklahoma or a decent Islamic person trolling for an
argument. Free speech still applies.  It could also be a fundementalist
seeking to cause real trouble. If you are worried about "elstranger" and
his intentions be assured that Hotmail is probably well monitored by Big
Brother. If you want to make sure, please contact the authorities directly
and not the ALE list, not much we can do except flame each other over it.

As for the software itself, It's a constructive use of Linux and I'm glad
to see it. The wonderful thing about Linux-land is -everyone- can use it,
add things (hopefully constructive) to it and easily tailor it for niche's
the M$-Empire doesn't address. I'm probably not going to download
it, I don't care where Mecca is, or when the next Prayer to Mecca is, nor
do I run KDE. But I'm happy to see the devout use modern computer tools to
devine the exactly proper time for the next daily prayer, as I am sure
(sarcasm mode on) that God only listens at certain times of the day
(I know that's not the point). Personally, I've had good relationships
with moderate Muslims and Islams and been impressed with their devotion
and peaceful intentions. My business in Chattanooga shared a parking lot
with a local "church", they were crying and upset about 9/11 as well.

All sides have their nutcase fundemental fringe groups,
even the Linux zealots.

It's a wonderful diverse world, with room for many operating systems,
technologies, philosophies and theologies, as long as they are socially responsible.

Tolerance, for both technologies and philosophies is a prudent thing and
you need a small helping. Don't worry, I'm not a bleeding heart liberal,
and feel that socially irresponsible things: technologies, theologies or
people, should be dealt with quickly and efficiently.

I'll be at the Thursday night ALE, I'm a big bald guy and will be toting
an OLPC, if you want to discuss this in person, lets go have a beer or
coffee after the meeting and keep off-topic list chatter down.