[ale] re-installs versus upgrades [was: Re: X wants nvidia libraries]

Jim Sculley niceguyj at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 17:37:30 EST 2008

Bob Toxen wrote:
> The problem with re-installs is that all the tweaking I've done w.r.t.
> accounts, programs in /usr/local/{bin,sbin}, and zillions of other
> things would have to be redone at a huge time cost.

I don't ever muck around in those directories, so it hasn't been a
problem for me.  Having said that, as noted in my other reply; if you
keep the root directory on it's own partition, Mandriva can keep
everything else(*)  intact but you'll have brand new package
installations.  Kinda like getting a brand new desk, but not having to
throw out all the stuff in the drawers.

Jim S.

*I'm not sure what it will do if you've tweaked system shell scripts and
whanot in /whatever/bin.