[ale] re-installs versus upgrades [was: Re: X wants nvidialibraries]

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Jan 11 15:23:57 EST 2008

On the flip side the benefit to a reinstall is you end up only with what
is relevant to the new version and aren't left wondering "do I need
THOSE files anymore?".   This question becomes even more important on
multi-user systems where you can never get everyone to agree what is
"safe" to delete.

Years ago for big servers I found that even with good planning and
testing you always find something you missed and still have to address
it afterwards and then you have the old junk that you would have gotten
rid of simply by dint of not having installed it on the reinstall.   I
don't mind "patching" but "upgrading" the OS has never seemed a good
thing to me.