[ale] OT: Mac OS X Leopard and MacPorts

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Jan 6 16:47:20 EST 2008

Chris wrote:
> I know this isn't exactly Linux-related, but is anyone successfully
> using MacPorts with Leopard?
> I can't seem to build anything! I'm running 10.5.1, fully patched and up
> to date with MacPorts 1.6.0 and the
> developer's tools off the install DVD. Anything I try to build errors
> out for some reason or another. Any advice
> would greatly be appreciated.

As a test, I just installed zlib, openssl, and siege without trouble on
the latest Leopard/Macports. What errors are you getting?

If you are trying to build universal binaries with Macports, you may run
into architecture issues if you are mixing Macport and non-Macport code.
For instance, the binary packages from mysql.com are still single
architecture, so if you installed one of them and then tried to build a
universal MySQL adapter with Macports you'd definitely have errors.

So far my main complaint with Leopard is that the VNC server
occasionally stops responding and I have to ssh in and restart it with
'sudo
/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart
-restart -agent'

-Brian