[ale] Ktorrent Leachers sure are slow

Quentin Schander Quentin.Schander at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Jan 4 21:32:49 EST 2008

I downloaded one of the SUSE distributions using bit torrent not too long ago and I had bursts of real speed depending the source, sometime later I tried downloading a different version and everything just dragged.  I thought I was doing everything the same as before but still I never got any speed.  I conjectured, but had no hard evidence, that my ISP was doing traffic shaping and had started limiting torrent traffic.

Quentin R Schander

On Friday 04 January 2008 11:36:12 Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> Just an observation, don't really have a question.
>
> I downloaded a copy of Fedora 8 via Ktorrent a week ago.  Took 12 hours.
>
> This is at my office where I have a full T1 up and down.
>
> I've left Ktorrent running just to be a good net citizen.  It has been
> 6+ days and I have still only uploaded 1.45 copies.
>
> I'm really surprised that the leachers are so slow to pull anything.
> I occasionally see an upload in the 150KB/sec range, but only for a
> few seconds.  Most of them are way slower (ie. below 10KB/sec).  I do
> not have the BW restricted, but I do only allow 2 upload slots.
>
> Greg

I'm not so sure KTorrent itself has anything to do with the slowness. I've downloaded Kubuntu distributions within a couple of hours using KTorrent. And that was on my plain ol' DSL account.  It started out slow, but quickly gained speed until I was downloading at my connection's full capacity.