[ale] OLPC latest blows

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Jan 4 13:53:15 EST 2008

Daniel Howard wrote:
> http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9839806-37.html?tag=nefd.top
>
> Not only has the CTO of OLPC resigned to commercialize her OLPC
> inventions, but now Intel has left the OLPC board, assumedly so it can
> pursue the ClassBook and other low cost PCs.  Figure on serious
> competition for the OLPC sooner rather than later.  Negroponte has
> demonstrated a lack of marketing savvy: why would he even think he could
> insist that Intel stop working on competing products or helping
> competitors like Asus...standard practice is to negotiate a delay in
> competitive offering, not prevent it altogether.

1) Have ideas about how to improve education
2) Design innovative laptop to implement these ideas that happens to use
an AMD CPU and run Linux
3) Watch intel suddenly design a traditional Windows laptop and try to
dump it below cost on your potential customers
4) Die
5) Watch intel withdraw their laptop from the market

Negroponte's certainly overly idealistic, we'll see if I'm overly cynical.

-Brian