[ale] Java for 64bit Firefox

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Jan 1 18:10:46 EST 2008

On Tue 2008-01-01 17:17:42 -0500, Dow Hurst wrote:

> If anyone wants to comment on their solution for Java browser
> plugins in a 64bit environment, I'd still love to hear your
> solution.

http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp says "* Please use the
32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support."  So i
agree yer out of luck with Sun's java.

However, gcjwebplugin is the GNU java web applet plugin for
NPAPI-compatible browsers (like firefox).  It's in debian unstable for
amd64 at least:

  http://packages.debian.org/sid/gcjwebplugin

I've never used it myself because i don't have much need for Java.  If
you try it, please report back!

The ability to port your toolset to new platforms when you need to is
yet another reason to prefer free software.  Despite becoming freer
recently, Sun Java's non-free legacy finds it pretty tightly-bound to
x86, without a lively community who might otherwise push it in the
64-bit direction.

Regards,

        --dkg