[ale] Java for 64bit Firefox

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 1 15:39:41 EST 2008

Java on 64bit Firefox doesn't work, isn't available, and so on.  So....

I've loaded up OpenSuSE 10.3 on a Core2Duo machine using the 64bit
installation.  I've attempted to move the Firefox environment and all
packages that have the needed plugins to 32bit.  However, I found even
though I could install MPlayer as 32bit, when I tried to enable MP3
support in Xine so Amarok could play MP3 format, I got dependency
problems.  Diving deeper I found that there doesn't seem to be a way to
install Xine 32bit without moving KDE to 32bit, or at least a whole
bunch of it.  Yast2 started timing out on trying to solve dependency
issues at that point!!!

So, going back to Firefox, the whole issue revolves back to only having
the 32bit Java plugin.  If that was solved then all the other stuff
could stay 64bit.

My question then:  Is it possible to have a 64bit Firefox somehow start
up Java by another method such as a helper application?  I don't
understand how the Java plugin actually plugs into Firefox, but isn't
there another way to deal with this issue?  Am I reduced to using
multiple browsers?  Can Konqueror as 64bit run the 32bit Java to do Java
and Javascript stuff?  How do people deal with this that use a 64bit
environment?

If possible, please don't complain about Sun not getting the port of the
Java plugin to 64bit done as that is an obvious given.  I'm hoping there
is a practical usable solution to the problem with what I have available
to me.  I did look at nspluginwrapper but that does not support the Java
plugin.

Thanks so much for you time and have a Happy New Year!
Dow