[ale] M$ gets record fine

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Feb 28 08:38:00 EST 2008

Robert Reese wrote:
> *********** REPLY SEPARATOR  *********** On 2/27/2008 at 2:49 PM Bob
> Toxen wrote:
>
>> M$ simply will raise prices to Europeans to ensure the same
>> excessive profit margin.
>
> Not so fast.  If they did, it would simply drive the adoption of
> Linux by Europeans even higher, faster.  We all know that virtual
> machines are the future, consisting mostly of *nix systems, driven by
> customization and stability.  Microsoft knows that.
>
> Open Source is the "Chinese Finger Puzzle" of the business world.  It
> is counter-intuitive, much like gun toten' to liberals.  For those
> people that believe that less guns means more safety, they cannot
> understand how arming potential victims (like college students of
> today) can actually increase safety and security.  Microsoft,
> similarly, cannot fathom how to compete with Open Source even when it
> seems obvious to the rest of us.  Even so, Microsoft is not
> completely clueless when it comes to business, and driving people to
> those enigmatic alternatives by raising prices isn't good business
> sense.

The wonderful thing that I see is that Linux is getting into the hands
of folks at a much younger age.  My daughter attends a Magnet program
and was telling me about a discussion a handful of students were having
at school one day.  It was more then the usual, 'have you heard of this
thing called Linux?'  They were actually discussing the pros/cons of
specific distros.  Now grant it, this is a Science and Math Magnet
program, but still, the discussion included Freshmen through Seniors.

It was quite refreshing.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin