[ale] Yahoo Groups: perils?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:40:01 EST 2008

As a member of the Vast Corporate Fat Conspiracy who spends his days
figuring out how to abuse users to the maximal extent, I can tell  you one
concrete step you can take to keep the noise to a minimum.  On my home
machines, I have a modified /etc/hosts file which points most advertising
sites to /dev/null. You can find a copy just by goin' a googlin' on the
Mighty Internet  for "hosts files advertising block". Here's (
http://everythingisnt.com/hosts ) one example.  Naturally I don't use such a
thing at work, where I'm _paid_ to deal with advertisements.  And of course
this won't really help if you choose to actually visit yahoo, aol.com, or
some other evil site.

-- CHS