[ale] Yahoo Groups: perils?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Feb 26 17:07:40 EST 2008

James Sumners wrote:
> I participate in a couple Yahoo! Groups lists. Notably, ATLDTV. I
> haven't had any problems with them other than the spam automatically
> appended to every email. Of course, ALE does the same thing; just not
> in the same excess that Yahoo! does.

You must not be on the same list I'm on.  I've (on occasion) trimmed
literally hundreds of lines of extraneous redundantly repeated ALE
list footers from my replies, in some of the longer threads.  But I
guess that's mainly a netiquette issue. Though I do wonder how hard it
could be to pipe outgoing messages through a "strip quoted footers"
filter. OTOH I suppose there could be people who really like the
footers, and would be dreadfully upset were such a filter installed,
so maybe I should implement a solution on the client side.  Why, this
looks like an opportunity to learn Thunderbird plugin-fu!  I should
count my blessings.

-- JK, done wasting bandwidth now...

PS - I'm 40 today, and feeling curmudgeonly.

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens