[ale] OT: GPS/nav units?

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon Feb 25 16:31:33 EST 2008

On Mon February 25 2008, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> Since I got it I've used it occasionally to find my way. It's pretty fun,
> although it won't work inside an automobile. You have to hang the gadget
> out the window for its antenna to pick up the magic sky birds. I used it on
> last year's BRAG ( http://brag.org ) to chart my progress though.

not true. I took mine on car trips a few times, with my wife holding it,
telling me how fast I was going, and the routes we were about to cross..
granted, my C-340 is MUCH better for road trips:)
but I got me Etrex to map out my property. It failed miserably. the problem
is, the part of my property I want to map out is 4 acres of woods, 100+ foot
tall oak trees all over the place. Up by the house, it says accurate to
within 18 feet. Down in the woods, 100 feet away, it says accurate to within
118 feet.. just about worthless.
and I bought a silly serial-to-USB cable to try to hook up the etrex to my PC,
but also no joy. My laptop doesn't come with a serial port, I am REALLY sorry
I didn't get one.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800