[ale] One file, two LANs

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Sun Feb 24 21:34:47 EST 2008

This is the land of simple web based databases,
Trying to share a file that will become out of sync
or corrupted as multiple people edit/view/save/read it.
There are ways, kludges and shims, but in reality what you need
is a simple web based database editor.

Other ways include: Google App's - Sharing a spreadsheet.
or one of the many groupware tools like eGroupware or iOffice
that allow a person to 'check out' the spreadsheet for editing,
which locks other people from writing over it while you have it.
You can also do some kewl things with file perms, ownership and such
on the system you share it in.. Allowing the office 'read only' access
and one person "read/write" access. - My personal experience with these
(file perm schemes) is that it's just a matter of time before
something goes wrong and it becomes a 0 byte length file, or worse,
gets auto-updated with last weeks version (which was running in the
background) when someone's computer shuts down and no-one notices
the missing data for 3 more weeks.