[ale] OT:Recommended scanners

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Feb 20 06:30:40 EST 2008

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Film scanning and Linux have not gone well together.
>
> I'm not sure who all's scanners have this feature, but one thing about
> the Nikon units that was noteworthy was that the images used an infrared
> channel, whose purpose was to get an image of any dist or scratches on
> the film.  That channel was then used to interpolate the other color
> channels to mask out the defects in software.

I have an Epson 3590 flatbed that works on Linux, however I had to pop
for Vuescan ($40) to get it work work properly.  The Sane drivers said
they supported it but I'm guessing there might have been a change in the
firmware in the scanner somewhere  during its life.

I'm not adverse to paying for software.  Vuescan even handles the auto
film loader on this scanner.  My only complaint is that it asks me for a
file name for each picture.  Big advantage?  I don't have to boot XP.

Jim.