[ale] OT:Recommended scanners

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Feb 19 12:21:46 EST 2008

The 4990 comes with various adapters, including a slide and negative
adapter.  When you scan negatives or slides, you remove a cover from the
door that then  permits a second lamp to further illuminate the scan.

Okay, so I just scanned in a photo and the corresponding negative.  I
did nothing to either image, thus what you see is what you get.  The
negative image is quite a bit darker.  The third photo is the negative
image with the default 'equalize' filter from gimp applied to it.  Not
perfect but pretty good for applying a default filter.

Note, these photos/negatives are a good 20 years old.  You can see that
the negative has some scratches top left and lower center of the image.

original photo:

http://www.serioustechnology.com/swingset-photo.jpg

negative:

http://www.serioustechnology.com/swingset.jpg