[ale] OT:Recommended scanners

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Tue Feb 19 11:13:54 EST 2008

Robert Story wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:49:22 -0500 Scott wrote:
> SC> Looking for a film scanner. I'd rather not get another flat bed scanner.
> SC> I can't seem to find any lower priced scanners for scanning negatives. I
> SC> have a ton of old 35mm and some negatives for the old Instamatic 126 &
> SC> 110 formats that I'd like to scan into my system. I think I can justify
> SC> the purchase to my significant other if it's not a flatbed as we already
> SC> have an all-in-one. I've been emailing with the writer of Vuescan and he
> SC> seems to push towards flat beds by Epson.
>
> Just a word of warning... Unless film scanners have improved dramatically
> recently, don't expect to be able to just batch scan your old negatives and
> get anything that looks like the corresponding prints. Photo labs do
> processing on film when making prints, and you'll have to do that sort of
> thing manually on your scans. (mostly color corrections)

That's the impression that I've gotten while reading up on different
software. The problem is that I can only find film scanners for 35mm and
they run about $2500.00. The cheaper ones date back to 1999 and are only
available as used with no guarantee of even working at all. I would
definitely lose my head if after spending $100 all I got was something
that wouldn't even be a good boat anchor.