[ale] PPPo{EA} v NAT in DSL gateways

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Dec 30 17:20:47 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 17:49 -0500, Ken Cochran wrote:
> Yes, they (the LinkSys boxen, etc.) do (the signon) but what I'm
> trying to find out is if (e.g.) the Westell (or any other DSL
> gateway) can still do the signon if it is set up in bridge mode.

	Probably not.  At least not as you have literally written, that is.
The "signon" is the pap/chap authentication in the PPP session.  Unless
there is some really creative monkeying around going on (MITM PPPoe
anyone?), that means the signon is going to have to occur at the
termination point of the PPP connection.  IOW, if the modem is doing the
signon, the PPP connection terminates in the modem (i.e. not bridging).
The address you get is assigned to your end of the end of the PPP
connection.  So, then, how does the DSL box talk to your NAT/firewall
machine?  You need more addresses.  That implies (for simple consumers)
private addresses and NAT.

> What (I think) I'm trying to do is to *not* be dependent on
> PPPo{AE} signon in my NAT/firewall machine (which isn't yet
> an appliance such as a LinkSys box) but rather push that out
> to whatever is connected to the DSL line.  Naturally, I also
> need to avoid double-NAT, which would further break all kinds
> of stuff...

	I have installed systems where the DSL router manages the PPPoe but
then also has a netblock allocated to it.  It basically operates in
managed mode but, in this case, it has a block of routable unicast
public addresses to hand out.  This is what you get if you have multiple
static IP addresses.  You never see the PPP address then (traceroute
might uncover it), you only see your block of public addresses (in leu
of private addresses) and no NAT.  Not sure if the Westels can operate
in that mode or not.  But you have to get a block of addresses from your
provider and that will cost $$$ and probably means a business account.
I've set this up for one customer who has a /26 from AT&T but they got a
significantly larger router than the little Westels (and they are paying
something like a couple hundred a month +-).  You don't get this if you
merely have a single static IP.

> I gotta find me some FMs to RT...  Pointers/URLs welcome.

> -kc

	Mike