[ale] Fragmentation (was M$ Standing on a bridge)

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Dec 30 14:55:32 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 11:31 -0500, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> Thanksgiving, he was running that weird rewrite-the-whole-disk thing
> that windows seems to require periodically

In all fairness, I've managed to terribly fragment an ext3 filesystem by
filling it to capacity with large files. E.G.

$ sudo filefrag afile
afile: 48288 extents found, perfection would be 19 extents

Soon I cleared out a lot of space. However there's no good way to
defragment, just the copying files trick. I'm looking forward to
converting to ext4 and trying out e4defrag, since all the seeks really
hurt i/o performance.

-Brian