[ale] OT: osol CD won't boot

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sat Dec 27 15:43:11 EST 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> Another thing slightly related: When loading IRIX onto my SGI hardware,
> not just any drive would work. It had to have a certain physical drive
> relationship with sectors and chunk sizes (I may have terms wrong here -
> it's been a while). So since your VM is having the issue, I agree it's
> likely the VM bios presenting a slightly incompatible drive process.

It's actually the other way around. The CD boots in a VM but not the
physical box. My guess is that VBox VM presents a very generic cd drive
on a very generic IDE bus. My physical hdwe is actually on the primary
IDE port of a PCI option card

> The"F" is for "Fake" in the chipset string.

I had looked it up on the AMD site and there is a subtle difference that
  the 790X series supports the newer AM3 socket and is backwards
compatible. It also came with the SB700(?) instead of the SB600.