[ale] OT: osol CD won't boot

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 08:48:36 EST 2008

Another thing slightly related: When loading IRIX onto my SGI hardware, not
just any drive would work. It had to have a certain physical drive
relationship with sectors and chunk sizes (I may have terms wrong here -
it's been a while). So since your VM is having the issue, I agree it's
likely the VM bios presenting a slightly incompatible drive process.

The"F" is for "Fake" in the chipset string.

 :-)

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Try reburning the CD and turn the burn speed down to the slowest
> > setting. The cd drive may be having issues reading the disk. I have seen
> > this with older drives no liking a CD burned at high speeds. The drive I
> > burned in was used to verify the disk checksum but the target drive was
> > very unhappy. Ran the burn speed to 2x and all went fine.
> >
> > I seem to recall this a media problem and not really an old drive
> problem.
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net
> > <mailto:hscast at charter.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     Okay maybe way off topic, but I'm not sure what's happening and I
> >     haven't been able to get an answer at OpenSolaris.org. I have been
> >     playing around with opensolaris 200811 on virtualbox. the image file
> as
> >     well as a cd burned with the image will boot in a VM. The problem I
> have
> >     is that when I try to boot on the actual physical machine I get know
> >     where, just a GRUB> prompt. When I manually step through the process,
> >     I'll get Error 25: Disk read error. I have just tried it on another
> >     system and it'll boot fine. The HCL has mention of a MoBo similar to
> >     mine as working, what else could be interfering with it?
> >
> >     TIA
> >     Scott
> >

> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III

> The burner is a new one, I had burned 3 different CDs using 3 different
> apps, at near the slowest burn speed. I've always had a habit of doing
> slow burns. The same CDs on the same drive works in a VM on Virtualbox,
> so I think that rules out the CD and the drive. I beleive the difference
> is that in the VM it more than likely presents a different BIOS an MoBO
> even though it uses my physical processor as is, and possibly memory as
> is. I'm beginnig to think that it maybe a BIOS issue or the physical
> chipset. Although I have seen a similar Gigabyte MoBo on their HCL. I
> believe the closest chipset was a 790X/SB600 and mine is a 790FX/SB600,
> I can't seem to find what difference the F makes.

James P. Kinney III