[ale] Partitioning Problems

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Sat Dec 27 08:01:10 EST 2008

Jim Lynch wrote:
> Andrew Grieser wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:00:02 -0500 Geoffrey
>> <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:

>>> Install windows first, then repartition your disk.
>>>
>>> -- Until later, Geoffrey
>>>
>> This worked. Thanks.
>>
>> Now that I think about it, that must be how I did it last time too.
>>

>> I'm thinking about installing windows on a separate hard drive, and
>> then just swapping out drives on the rare occasions when I need it.
>> That way, if windows decides to mess things up, it can only mess up
>> itself.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
> I've been dual booting Linux and windows since Win 95 (maybe before).
>  Never had windows cause a problem with a Linux partition.
> Personally I don't think it's worth the effort.  It's always been
> suggested that you install Windows first and then Linux.  I've done
> the reverse and gotten away with it sometimes, and sometimes not.

My experiences with dual boots are the same.  I've never had Windows
cause a problem with my Linux partitions.

If you install linux, then Windows, windows will trash your grub/lilo
and you will have to boot from a rescue disk to recover your dual boot
ability.

It works, as I've taken this approach before, but it's a pain in the butt.

Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin