[ale] Partitioning Problems

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Dec 26 21:14:56 EST 2008

Andrew Grieser wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:00:02 -0500
> Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>

>> Andrew Grieser wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I decided to wipe my drive and re-partition so that I can boot
>>> multiple operating systems, however I am having a difficult time
>>> getting it to work. The funny thing is, I have done this before and
>>> have gotten it working with no problems. I'm a bit confused as to why
>>> I can't figure this one out.
>>>
>> Install windows first, then repartition your disk.
>>
>> --
>> Until later, Geoffrey
>>

> This worked. Thanks.
>
> Now that I think about it, that must be how I did it last time too.
>
> I'm thinking about installing windows on a separate hard drive, and then just swapping out drives on the rare occasions when I need it. That way, if windows decides to mess things up, it can only mess up itself.
>
> Andrew

I've been dual booting Linux and windows since Win 95 (maybe before).
Never had windows cause a problem with a Linux partition.  Personally I
don't think it's worth the effort.  It's always been suggested that you
install Windows first and then Linux.  I've done the reverse and gotten
away with it sometimes, and sometimes not.

Jim.