[ale] Web server OS

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Dec 25 11:40:08 EST 2008

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Pat Regan wrote:
>> It takes significantly less time to test the small number of packages
>> that get security updates than it does to test everything that just
>> happens to have incremented its version number.
>>
> Who would need to?  I sure don't.  If I care about, say, OpenSSH and
> Apache on a server, I can watch those packages for updates and emerge
> them when ready (or, I can automate that so that it emerges when it
> becomes available even if I'm not aware, although that may be a little
> dangerous)

If you don't need to test your updates before you apply them to your
production servers that just means you can get away with more potential
downtime than I can.  We're just living in two very, very different worlds.

>> Laziness, impatience, and hubris.  I don't know how much impatience you
>> have, but we both seem to have enough hubris.  I think you just need to
>> learn more laziness :)
>>
> I feel like you've read me wrong.  I don't have any more hubris over
> Gentoo than I can really work up over my stove when I'm cooking; I turn
> the knobs and it heats up stuff, just like I tell it to.  I can't say I
> exactly feel burdened by it, either (although things like WiFi and
> accelerated video can be a bit of a chore).

I read you correctly, but I may not have expressed myself well enough.
I was trying to say that we likely have hubris in equal measure.
Laziness, impatience, and hubris are the three virtues of a programmer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Wall#Virtues_of_a_programmer

It is a little off, but it applies well enough to sysadmins :).

Pat