[ale] Ubuntu 6.10 -> 7.04 upgrade

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 19:00:12 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Jim Philips <philips_jim at bellsouth.net>wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 December 2008 16:05:43 cfowler at outpostsentinel.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone know of any Ubuntu repoistories that still
> > contain updates and upgrade for 6.10?
> >
> > I'm trying to upgrade to 7.04 and I'm getting error messages (404)
> > that files can not be found.  I've download the 7.04 CD and tried that
> > way but it still wants to get files from the Internet.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris
>
> I don't think you're going to have any luck on that one. Why not just back
> up
> the home directory and do a nuke and pave. I upgrade that way even when
> repos
> are available.

Hi,

I was under the impression that each newer iteration of the distribution,
the user should do a clean install.  Yes it does support upgrading, but for
best results - do a clean install?  I'm also curious as to why you're
upgrading instead of just doing a plain-jane install.  Shouldn't the
packages you have installed have a newer, better version?  Thanks.

--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4
"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide!" -Marc F.