[ale] I've hit a rough wall, installin' Smoothwall :-)

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 23 17:44:13 EST 2008

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion, which I attempted to implement this PM, without success.

SmoothWall has recognized and loaded modules for all 3 NICs, so I assume they are ready to go:

Ethernet cables plugged into the NICs:

    BellSouth DSL modem         [RED]        is 192.168.1.x;    i.e. whatever Bellsouth dhcp assigns...

    Lan ethernet hub             [GREEN]        is 192.168.2.2;    no LAN members plugged in yet

    Linksys wireless router  [ORANGE]        is 192.168.3.3;    with ethernet cable plugged into the "internet' port rather than any of the ethernet ports (4)

DHCP Server is not enabled.

It is unclear to me what the NIC addresses should be and as a result, I guess, I am unable, from the SmoothWall box, to ping any internet site by numeric or resolvable address.

What's wrong and how should I fix it  ?

Thanks,

Courtney