[ale] Web server OS

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 08:59:54 EST 2008

My $0.20 is to use centos 5.2. Add the EPEL repo (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL) and install wordpress with yum install
wordpress The base level OS is supported for another 5 years and the system
is rock-solid stable. The EPEL packages are provided and maintained by the
upstream providers.

Note: Centos and all RedHat derivatives will try (and usually suceed)  at
installing X. This is because many tools for managaing the system are
gui-fied. The hard drive space is minimal and the X can be turned off with a
runlevel 3 in inittab.

Note: I do NOT recommend the Fedora 10 distro for server use at this time.
They shift to all network sockets controlled by NetworkManager is not as
stable as it needs to be yet. It's fine for laptops (I'm using it and like
it a lot) but it's not for servers yet.

Staying well back from bleeding edge is good. When F10 first came out the
x86_64 version was not "bleeding edge" it was a "spurting death wound". It's
feeling MUCH better now! My 64 bit laptop has been up for about 8 days now
without a hard reboot. Resuming from suspend or hibernate still leaves
Radeon chip is terminally stupid mode so that has been avoided 'till I see a
patch

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 2:03 AM, aaron <aaron at pd.org> wrote:

> Even knowing that Jon is active with the Ubuntu
> community, I'd have to throw in with CentOS.
>
> In fact, I'll recommend CentOS twice, then you'll
> have my $.02 on the subject.
> ;-)
>
> White box RedHat without the bleeding edge pains of
> Fedora.  It was my choice when I had to build a
> server for a Drupal development site last summer.
>
> Someone mentioned Wordpress packages being in the
> Ubuntu repositories, but that may not be saying much.
> LAMP web packages like Wordpress and Drupal will
> generally install pretty easily on any common server
> distro, though I will note that I did have to add
> a non-default repository to get a yum-my Drupal
> installation into CentOS 5.
>
> peace
> aaron
>
> On 2008, Dec, 22, , at 10:57 PM, Jon Reagan wrote:
>
> > hey folks... got a quick question.
> >
> > I have a new computer that I will be using as a web server.  From past
> > experience, I know that the computer does not have any hardware that
> > presents compatibility issues.  So, with this in mind, which system
> > would y'all recommend for a complete noob looking to set up a
> > wordpress blog?
> >
> > I have been using Ubuntu, as well as Fedora and Debian... but I am not
> > sure which is best (or rather, easiest) for me to use.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Jon

James P. Kinney III